Baldwin Public Library

Baldwin History heading


A Birthday for the Millennium

A Birthday for the Millennium appeared in the Winter 2000, Volume 8, No.1 issue of the Nexus Newsletter and has been added to the Baldwin Public Library's Home Page with the permission of the Baldwin Foundation for Education. It is a first-hand account of life in Baldwin as told by Ruth Wheeler Steele (Baldwin High School Class of 1918) to Ed Ingles (Baldwin High School Class of 1950). Ruth Wheeler Steele lived in Baldwin from 1899 until 1997 and is believed to be the oldest living Baldwin alumnus.

Sometimes Ruth Wheeler Steele draws the blinds in her room and remembers those 98 wonderful years in Baldwin. She recalls the days she lived on Pine Street and how her house was furnished. Now her theater of the mind also extends to looking out a glass window in her Northport, Alabama, home where she lives with her niece, Elizabeth Pease Bradt '57 and her husband. Mrs. Steele does not see the beautiful pines and oaks that line the peninsula out on the lake. Instead she imagines being back in one of several Baldwin homes in which she lived, remembering the neighborhood houses and the cars that passed back and forth. "I miss my Baldwin, miss my friends," she says, sadly thinking that everyone she knew from years ago is now gone.

Ruth Wheeler, born on November 17, 1899, lived for the next 98 years in Baldwin. As a child, she lived south of Merrick Road and on Pine Street from the time she married, until she moved to Alabama. She went to kindergarten next to the blacksmith shop, in a white building with a belfry whose bell could be heard all over Baldwin.

Prospect School in 1907

Ruther spent most of her school years in Baldwin's newest school, the three-story, brick Prospect School, built in 1907 on Prospect Street near the site of the present St. Christopher's Church. The building housed the second through twelfth grades. Ruth graduated in 1918. Class size in those days was fifteen to twenty students.

Winter on the Bay

"I had a simple, but very happy childhood," Mrs. Wheeler remembers. "We did not have much, but we made do and had a good time." Her father was a fisherman and Ruth remembers a few occasions when large ships went aground off Long Beach. They took her dad's boat, cutting the ice that clogged the bay between Baldwin and Long Beach. The ships had to unload their cargo so they could be refloated. She and her dad would gather up discarded crates of coconuts and bananas that washed up on the beach. "My father had an oyster business, and the oyster shells were crushed and sprinkled along what is now Foxhurst Road, turning the entire road white. Of course in those days, all the roads were dirt."

Grand Avenue Carriage Houses
Before World War I, the hub of the village consisted of short stretches of Merrick Road and Grand Avenue around the intersection of those two main roads. Elegant carriage houses that were set back from the road lined the main thoroughfare. Mrs. Wheeler remembers Dr. Steele's Silver Lake Pharmacy on the corner of Merrick and Grand. Nassau Chemists, successor to Dr. Steele, was at that site until a recent move to larger quarters a few doors east on Merrick Road. Other shops Mrs. Steele remembers in the town center included Hebenstreit's Baldwin House, a bicycle shop, a dry goods shop, a butcher shop, and the blacksmith.

Trolley Car to Baldwin

In 1903, an electric trolley line from Brooklyn extended its service through Baldwin along Atlantic Avenue. The cars were open-sided in warm weather and closed in the winter. It continue into Freeport and then turned north to its terminus in Mineola. "If you wanted anything from a department store, you took the trolley to Brooklyn and transferred and traveled to Manhattan. It was a single-track line, but at certain intervals there was a double track so the trolleys could pass each other. I remember walking about a mile from my house to the trolley. It cost a nickel to go to Oceanside to visit my grandma and twenty cents to travel to Brooklyn. Earlier when I was a small child, there was a row of stables and hitching posts where horse-drawn carriages could park. Only the wealthy had carriages, and we rarely saw a car, but my dad did have a bike."

Groceries at Your Door

Although we may all soon be ordering our food online for delivery to our front doors, almost 100 years ago Ruth recalls a service which was faster and probably more efficient. "The grocer man came to the house, took you order in the morning, and brought it back to your home in the afternoon. There was a big store on Milburn Avenue at the head of Clinton Place that Coles Petit owned, and he delivered groceries, sold horse feed, bail of hay, tin pails, chamber pots, and yard goods. The baker came to your house once a week and the fisherman came around with a small horse-drawn truck with scales to weigh the fish," Mrs. Steele recalls. "One time his horse fell down on the ice, and they had a hard time getting him up." She reminisces about the times when she and her friends hitched their Flexible Flyer sleds to the back of the coal man's horse-drawn delivery truck for a ride around Town. This wasn't dangerous, she noted, until the coal trucks became motorized.

One-Reelers at Milburn Pond
Back in the 1920s it was "a big deal" to drive up Grand Avenue all the way to the North Shore and tool around. "There weren't many cars on the north-south roads in those day," Mrs. Steele recalls, "But on weekends Merrick Road was jammed around Baldwin with people driving from the city out toward the East End and back." One of the highlights was when Baldwin resident and actor Victor Moore was making silent films - his Klever Komedies - in our town. "He would make these short, one-reel films and he would shoot around the Coral House by the lake; I was seventeen years old and I came to watch," said Mrs. Steele. "This particular scene was in an old cow yard, and the next thing I knew Mr. Moore was hiring me for one scene in the movie. He needed me to work on a fire line and I was one of the pail pushers. I got paid for it, but that didn't mean anything to me because I was just thrilled to be in the movie."

Farming in North Baldwin

As children, Ruth said, they didn't often walk to North Baldwin because they felt it was just too far. Almost everything north of Sunrise Highway in those years was farm, with names like Wicks and Sprague. Ruth's father would ride his bicycle up north to buy a dozen ears of corn for a quarter. Occasionally, the kids would walk up Grand Avenue to Seaman and then east to the "Kissing Bridge." "We should picnic by the bridge, take our shoes and stocking off, and go in the creek. I was ten or twelve years old. We often got chased by a man who patrolled the brook because it was owned by the New York Waterworks."

New York Waterworks

The waterworks was located just north of the railroad tracks on Brookside Avenue, and the shell of the huge building still stands today. "Brookside Creek delivered the water to the pumping station and they built a pipeline above water level that fed drinking water into New York City" she said, adding, "I don't remember that water being used in Baldwin."

Ruth recalled that you needed to have a water tank in the attic in order to have an indoor bathroom. You would get the water up to the tank either by hand-pump, or if you were lucky, with an electric pump. You had another pump in the kitchen to pump water from the well. "I suppose it was a very monotonous life; as a child not much happened. We held lantern shows, played basketball games in the movie theater, and did most of our ice-skating at Baldwin Pond, which is now Loft Pond Park. I remember Leon Loft driving a geek - a two-wheeler and a fast horse. He sat up high and we called him Leon Aloft. We went out on a boat and picked pond lilies, brought home turtles, and picked berries all along the Long Island Railroad. We really lived in an innocent age."
Nexus is the newsletter of the Baldwin Foundation for Education, Baldwin, New York. The Foundation was established in 1993 as an independent, tax-exempt, not-for-profit organization whose fundraising, promotional, and alumni development activities benefit the students of the Baldwin Public Schools and help to sustain Baldwin's tradition of excellence in education.

Ruth Wheeler Stelle, Valedictorian of the Class of 1918 - was the subject of an interview by Ed Ingles. Here is the conclusion of this interview.

Her health is remarkably good. Her wit is sharp. Her penmanship is steady, but Baldwin's oldest living alumna, Ruth Wheeler Steele, draws little joy from living to 100 years. "Isn't that awful! Whoever heard of anyone walking around for one hundred years?" said the widowed Mrs. Wheeler Steele. From her home in Northport, Alabama where she has lived for the past 2 years with her niece, Elizabeth Pease Bradt '57 and her husband, she said, " I miss Baldwin and I miss all my friends because they're all dead now." However, she hasn't lost her sense of humor. During a recent visit to the doctor she was told "I can't find a thing wrong with you." She replied, after a pause, "You better look again." She never smoked or drank and thinks the reason why she is a centenarian is because she did not live in a stressful environment for those ninety eight years in Baldwin. "Life was calm and that undoubtedly was conducive to living longer."
Baldwin started to become a New York City bedroom community when she was in her teens after World War I. The Telephone Company was signing up high school graduates to work as file clerks in New York City, and the job paid eleven dollars a week. Mrs. Steele, however, chose to continue her education, going to Pratt Institute in Brooklyn where she studied art and became a designer of greeting and place cards, which where in big demand in those days.

A fond memory during World War I is of the army sending lorries, big trucks with canvas sides, to get chaperoned girls and take them to Mitchell Field and Camp Mills near Garden City to dance with soldiers. She recalled writing to service men and waving to the numerous troop coal-burning trains that roared through Baldwin on their way out to military camps on the eastern end of Long Island.

Mrs. Steele said that the advent of the movies had a greater impact on her life than either radio or television. In those early years "They showed a lot of Western movies, which cost a nickel or dime to attend". She walked with her mother to Freeport on Main Street upstairs above Woolworth to a movie theater. She also went to the Plaza Theatre, which some later alumni might remember calling the "Itch". "The building would shake when the trains went by," she recalled with a laugh. "About the only form of entertainment young people had in those days was the movies and parties. There was really little excitement." She did remember watching minstrels performed in the Sophie Tucker garage on Merrick Road just west of the Methodist church. It cost a quarter to attend and 25 to 30 people would watch the performance.

She married in 1923 and remained so until her husband, Harold Steele, died in 1968. He was an officer in the Navy during World War II and was one of the few people who understood sonar at the outbreak of the conflict. He was sent to the Brooklyn Navy Yard at the early point of the war supervising the installation of sonar. She was doing chores on December 7, 1941 when she heard on the radio that the Japanese had attacked Pearl Harbor. Harold Steele rose to the rank of lieutenant commander and spent considerable time in the Pacific Theater, he used to tell her jokingly that he won the war for the Americans.

Dramatic changes took place in Baldwin after World War II, when Long Island was the fastest growing community in the United States. "Baldwin seemed to become a little more sophisticated," Ruth recalled, but she did not enjoy her hometown as much because she says she was too old, even then, to adjust to all the changes. "One of the greatest changes" Mrs. Wheeler remembered, "was the advent of the washing machine right after World War II. You could go to the laundromat, put in a quarter in the mechanical washer and ten cents in the dryer, fold your clothes, and take them home. Before that you washed on a washboard and Monday was known as wash day." She chuckled at the thought of those days when her son sent his laundry home from college to be washed because they didn't have washing machines. "He had a specially made cardboard box to mail the laundry home. It didn't cost more than thirty or forty cents to mail his dirty clothes home to me."

By the 1950's the Baldwin community and the surrounding area was almost concluding its transition from what Mrs. Steele called an agricultural to a mechanical culture, adding, "It was very noticeable." The Long Island she had grown up in was one big garden for New York. Trucks loaded with potatoes, cauliflower and ducks heading for New York had all but disappeared.

The area was not without a powerful politician in the 1930's. "There was a big estate that belonged to a man named Fox on Foxhurst Road, just over the line in Oceanside. Whenever he visited his estate the flag went up," she said. "It was a well kept home with an iron fence that rang along Foxhurst, just beyond the bridge over Mill Pond." Obviously, the street is named after him. "He belonged to Boss Tweed's political machine in New York," Mrs. Wheeler said.

"Young people of today know more than my generation did, they are better educated and certainly feel more independent. We were children when we were teenagers. The young people of today know a great deal more than we did, but I don't know if they know enough to take advantage of it." When asked if she had a message for today's young people, she emphatically responded, "No-No-No. And what's more, they don't want to hear it. It's a different world, no doubt about that. I feel that I'm out of place."


Hick's Neck to Baldwin - The History of Your Home Town by Helen MacDonough

This account of the early history of Baldwin, New York, was written by Helen MacDonough, head librarian of the Baldwin Public Library. Hick's Neck to Baldwin was originally published in "The Baldwin Citizen" on July 27, 1961, and was reprinted by the Baldwin Public Library in 1983.

Long and narrow in shape and comparatively slow in growth until the twentieth century, Baldwin might almost be considered a Long Island in miniature. Today Baldwin is the second largest unincorporated community in New York State, after Levittown, and perhaps in the United States, with a population of more than 30,200, according to the 1960 census. But its population, about 1,500 in 1880, did not exceed 5,000 forty years later.
For many years Hick's neck remained simply a place to go clamming, fishing or boating. Never exclusively farmers or baymen, the early residents, both Indian and white, combined the two pursuits.
We find that its proximity to the bay has had much to do with Baldwin's progress through the years. In the words of Daniel M. Tredwell, local historian, "Probably no locality on the Atlantic coast was stocked so abundantly as this immediate portion of the Great South Bay." Even today the bay holds a great attraction for new as well as old residents. Proof of this may be seen in the boat-filled canals of the community.
The friendly Indians of this section were known as Merokes. Their two villages were located on Milburn Creek several miles from the bay and on the west side of the same creek south of the future Merrick Road. These Indians, though improvident fishermen and farmers, were expert manufacturers of wampum, their product being held in high esteem by Indians of the mainland.
Baldwin is only the last of a series of names for this section of Nassau County. An offshoot of Hempstead village, settled in 1643-44, Baldwin has been Bethel, Baldwinsville and Baldwins.
The name Hick's Neck originated when two of Hempstead's early settlers, John Spragg from England and John Hicks from Flushing, pushed southward from Hempstead village to the verdant salt meadows extending into the bay.
When the Hempstead Town Board on January 25, 1686, voted to let one John Pine set up a grist mill anywhere in the town, he chose Hick'sNeck in preference to other locatations. Taking in five acres on Milburn Creek just north of the trail which skirted the south shore (Merrick Rd), this mill attracted many settlers.
Soon a well-traveled road ran from the vicinity of Pine's mill toward the bay. This was the beginning of what is now Milburn Ave. A still earlier road connecting Hick's Neck with Hempsted became the present Grand Ave.
The old mill pond formed by John Pine with the assistance of John Tredwell, his neighbor, who owned the land on which the mill was built, became famous as a fisherman's paradise. Tredwell claims that in 1840 one Dave Leinad caught a brook trout there which weighed four pounds and eleven ounces.
This pond was also the cause of a lengthy legal battle some 200 years later. the Pine property eventually came into the hands of Carman Smith who obtained a deed to the pond and assumed control of it thought the Tredwell family opposed it. In 1881, one Christopher Risley began residence at the Tredwell homestead. After examining the title he decided that the Tredwells owned the pond and all the privileges. Thus he secured the right to fish there. Smith objected and sued Risley for trespassing. A local justice decided in favor of Smith.
Risley then carried the case to the General Term which reversed the decision. The decision read that the Tredwell property included the pond and pondage and all privileges. The grant of five acres to Pine applied to the mill only. Smith carried the case to the Court of Appeals which confirmed the decision against him.
Thus he lost the pond merely because he objected to a fisherman's using it. Soon thereafter the City of Brooklyn acquired the pond for water purposes. The mill went to Smith's son, Charles, who operated it for many years as Smith's Mill.
In the early days a tavern, known as Milburn Inn was erected near the mill. Besides serving as a popular meeting place for local residents, the inn was also once used as a courthouse and jail. In later days it was run by Ben Homan, then by Smith Pettit. The inn still stands on the northeast corner of Merrick Rd. and Milburn Ave. moved back fifty feet from its original location.
Lott's Landing and Lott's Inn were established on the waterfront and, as years went by, this landing became an important shipping point for the people of Hempstead Town. Here coastwise sailing vessels loaded and unloaded and a packet ran daily between Lott's Landing and New York City.
There were other important landings, among them Bedell's and Tredwell's. After 1850, however, shipping declined due to competition with the Long Island Rail Road. Some of the captains in the early days were Henry Jackson, John Jackson, Daniel Bedell, Joseph Johnson, John Thomas, Thomas Raynor, and Benjamin Tredwell.
"Marshing," a popular industry in the early days, also provided opportunity for social get-togethers of the farmers of Hempstead Town, and especially those of the shore communities, such as Hick's Neck and Raynortown (Freeport). This odd occupation consisted of harvesting salt hay on the meadows of the island beaches. A Town-appointed hay-warden supervised the industry and saw that nobody cut hay except during the time specified by Town ordinance.
One of the first industries on the Neck, besides fishing and farming, was cutting logwood which was shipped to New York. Another was sheep raising. Like other residents of the Town, the sheep farmers of Hick's Neck kept their animals on the Hempstead plains which were common lands retained for many years by the Town for the pasturing of sheep and other livestock.
Every sheep owner had his own earmark, registered with the Hempstead Town Clerk, and as early as 1658 the Town appointed William Jacocks and Edward Raynor as stocktenders whose duty it was to protect pasturing livestock from thieves and wolves. The first white settlers of the east end of the Island (1640) had found that the Indians made a practice of using captive wolves for hunting, and took steps to protect themselves and their livestock from these prowling wolf-dogs.
Sheep-parting Day was in early times the most important event of the year. For many years the first Monday of November was the day designated by the Town fathers and it was declared unlawful for sheep owners to remove their stock from the common herd on any other day.
Early in the morning of this day the Town sheep tenders drove the great herd into a large central pen where they were identified by their owners who then parted them from the others. Unclaimed sheep were, later in the day, sold at auction and the funds thus raised went towards defraying the expenses of the Town's activities.
Hick's Neck had many sheep owners and at one time William Clowes purchased the grist mill which had been established by John Pine in 1686 and started a wool factory. After a brief career, however, it was closed and the property sold to Daniel Terry who re-established the grist mill, moving the factory building to Merrick Rd. where it became a hostelry.
This Terry, was, it seems, a talented man. According to Daniel M. Tredwell, he invented the screw propeller and installed one in a small boat which he operated on the mill pond. But we are getting ahead of our story of Baldwin.
Hick's Neck, too, shared in the hardships brought to Long Island by the War of Independence. Erstwhile friends and neighbors divided into two groups - Tories and Whigs. Long Island, unlike almost every other section of America, was controlled by the enemy throughout the entire war. Both Tories and Whigs were called upon to supply the British occupational forces with farm products, seafood and log-wood, the difference being that the Tories received payment while the Whigs, or rebels, were usually victimized by Tories and British alike.
There is a story told that a Whig named Waite Smith, pursued by the Redcoats, took refuge in the Hick's Neck marshes from whence he was rescued by one Increase Pettit.
On another occasion, the British packet, Carteret, was pursued by a Yankee privateer and ran ashore on the beach opposite Hick's Neck. A group of Tories rescued the British sailors from death and then looted their stranded ship.
Still another story tells of the American privateer, Revenue, being chased ashore by the British frigate Galatea and her crew being captured by local Tories of the Loyalist militia, among whom were John and Joseph Mott, Ruben Pine and three Smiths, Isaac, Joseph and William.
Following the Battle of Long Island which was a decisive victory for the British, more than 1,100 Long Islanders of Whig sentiment became refugees to New England. Among them were many from Queens County of which Hempstead Town was then a part, and Hick's Neck was represented in this historic exodus. An interesting book in this connection is F. G. Mather's "The Refugees of 1776 from Long Island to Connecticut." Many of these refugees returned after peace was declared in 1783 while about the same time those of Tory sentiment began to leave.
Among those Islanders who had been loyal to a lost cause were scores who never returned. Quite a few settled in New Brunswick, some in Canada, and still others as far away as the West Indies. Stemming from this movement there are today many prominent families in those distant lands who trace their ancestry back to Long Island and some to little Hick's Neck.
Between 1782 and the War of 1812, Hick's Neck grew apace. During this period it gradually came to be called Milburn Corners and Milburn, although old timers clung tenaciously to the original name.
The first church edifice erected in Baldwin was Bethel Chapel in 1810. It was built by Christian Snedeker who had amassed a considerable fortune for those days as a retail merchant in Hempstead. The chapel stood off Grand Ave. near St. Lukes Pl. and was the first home of the Methodists in Milburn.
In 1843, however, the congregation outgrew this chapel and moved to a larger building erected for the purpose on the south side of Merrick Rd. "Eloquent speakers spoke to large congregations who packed every available space; often the porch was crowded and at times, during the summer, even the window spaces were filled with worshippers."
A larger church became necessary and, in 1872, was built on the north side of Merrick Rd. This attractive white frame church, now considerably enlarged, is still the home of Baldwin's Methodists. For a time the community was known as Bethel. Churches of other faiths followed and today Baldwin contains 12. In 1934 an interesting pamphlet entitled "An Adventure for God" was published by the Baldwin Episcopal Church giving an account of its history and incidentally that of Baldwin.
After the War of 1812, the little village of Milburn began to acquire distinction in various fields. A private school, operated by William Fowler, stood just above Parsonage Creek on what is now Stowe Ave.
Another schoolmaster of that era was Jessie Pettit who joined the Mormons and went west, being succeeded by John Magee. In 1833 the school building stood at Brooklyn Ave. and Grand Ave. Its principal was Thomas Smith, with one assistant, Miss Louisa Baldwin. When this building burned down it was succeeded by a larger structure near the site of the present School No. 1 (Prospect School).
The famous naturalist, Jacob P. Guraud, Jr., who then dwelt at Freeport, may had had something to do with the growth of culture in this vicinity.
Guraud occupied the carpenter and wheelwright shop of George Smith at Freeport and here, besides studying and mounting specimens of local bird life, he began writing his great book, "Birds of Long Island," which described 560 varieties of feathered folk indigenous to the island.
The book, now considered a classic among natural history students, was published in 1844 and Guraud's valuable ornithological collection, much of it gathered on Long island, was later presented to Vassar College at Poughkeepsie.
In 1835 one James Wood was a boss fisherman at Hick's Neck. James Frost kept the store at the Corners. Among local fishermen were Thomas Carmen, Norton Homan, Richard Soper, Thomas Dunbar, Charles Johnson and a half-breed Indian named James or Jim Tom. There was also a broom factory operating on Coe's Neck, but it closed in 1841. John I. Lott did a thriving business in making cider, but upstate cider eventually forced him to abandon this business.
In 1842, because of the large number of small boats using the waters of the south shore, the United States made a survey for a contemplated canal which would have run from Milburn on the south shore across the island to the head of Hempstead Bay on the north shore.
It was on January 2, 1837, that the barque Mexico was wrecked about opposite Baldwin. Of 112 passengers and a crew of 18, all hands perished except eight whose heroic rescue was effected by Raynor Rock Smith, Jophar Smith, two Oliver Smiths, Willard Curtis Smith and James Smith.
There were many Smiths following the bay in those days. One "Uncle" Daniel Smith, built sea-going vessels, mostly sloops. On March 10, 1840, he launched his fifteenth craft, a sloop called the "Plough Boy," which was still in service more than 50 years later.
The name Baldwin has its origin in the name of the family prominent here over 100 years ago. Thomas Baldwin, a native son, was then the leading merchant of Milburn, having built the Baldwin House about 1825 on the northwest corner of Grand Ave. and Merrick Rd. This was a popular stopping place for those passing through.
Merrick Rd. was then a plank road. Every other day stage coaches ran through between New York and Amityville. Every day another coach made the trip from Freeport to New York.
Thomas Baldwin also erected a general store which he operated under the name of T. Baldwin and Sons. From one son, Francis, came the name Baldwinsville, later Baldwin and still later Baldwin. For some years, however, the section south of the railroad remained Milburn while that north of the station was called Baldwin, which latter name was given the first railroad station here.
Francis Baldwin became Treasurer of Queens County and also represented the County in the State Assembly. It was he who built the large residence known in later years as the Loft house.
Francis Baldwin also presented the site for School No. 1 which was built in l833. Elisha Baldwin was County Clerk for a number of years. His two daughters moved from Baldwin and all trace of them has been lost. apparently all other descendants have since died. During the Gay Nineties, about 1895, Baldwin acquired its first volunteer fire department, although there had been single companies before that. John Carl was the first chief.
Many of the old buildings erected in the nineteenth century are still in use. The Baldwin Public Library now occupies the large brown frame building which, more than 50 years ago, was the popular "Wortman's General Store." Here was installed the village's first telephone system. The central and switchboard were located in the store and anyone wishing to call Freeport or some other town had to ring the store first to make the connection. The storekeeper worked as telephone operator besides selling groceries and vegetables. The line eventually fell into disuse and vanished in the march of time.
In 1921 the Woman's Advance Club of Baldwin purchased this site and building for a free public library. For two years previous to this the library had been housed in a little store on Grand Ave. just south of the railroad. In 1932 the deed of the building was transferred to the school district by vote of the taxpayers.
Many alterations and additions were made on the old building, making it more attractive and usable but its general outline remains the same. Library borrowers admire its informal appearance and friendly atmosphere.
Time exacted its toll after World War II as the wooden building became dilapidated, and with an increase in population no longer could offer suitable facilities for all its users. Taxpayers of Baldwin approved a bond issue in 1959 for the construction of a new library, which will open this Fall at the southeast corner of Grand Ave. and Prospect St.
The building of a new library runs parallel with the growth of other public facilities. When Meadow Elementary School and Baldwin Harbor Junior High School, now under construction, are completed, the Baldwin public school system will have ten elementary schools, two junior high schools, and a senior high school.
To keep pace with expanding public needs, a new post office will rise on the west side of Grand Ave. south of Sunrise Hwy. to take the place of the main building on Grand Ave. south of Prospect St.
Informal appearance and friendly atmosphere are words that have been used to describe Baldwin as a whole. These qualities continue to be fostered in public life by about 150 organizations serving various purposes. These include church-sponsored groups, youth groups, committees interested in schools, and civic, political, business, veterans, fraternal, vocational, and service clubs.
Although Baldwin's growth has been rapid in the last 30 years, it has kept abreast of the times and improvements and still retains the informality and friendliness rooted in community tradition.

Send comments to
Last updated: 6/16/11
©2012 Baldwin Public Library